Our furry friends are sweet and adorable until they have an accident on the new carpet. Here are some tips to help you take care of those messes left by your four legged friends:
Newly Discovered Messes
When you come across a new mess here are some steps you can take to avoid staining and odours:
- Use paper towels and newspaper to soak up as much of the urine as possible. Then apply a layer of paper towels covered by newspaper. Stand on the spot to help remove the last of the dampness.
- Once you feel you have lifted as much of the urine as possible clean the area with cold water and then blot again to remove excess dampness.
- For best results use a wet vac or rent one as soon as possible to avoid staining and odours.
If you have spent the day away from home and come home to discover a stain that has already dried you probably want to rent an extractor or hire a professional carpet cleaning team to come in to help with the job. It takes a good machine to get deep down and remove the damage and odours that will already have started to set in. If you opt to attempt the stain removal on your own take the following precautions:
- Be careful as the chemicals that come with the machines you rent can cause more damage. Water is better in the case of pet stains.
- Find a high-quality pet odor neutralizer to use following your carpet treatment once it is dry. Follow the instructions to ensure it works and that it also does not result in further staining.
- Once the spot is dry take a look and see how it worked. If you still see a stain look for a carpet stain remover and follow the instructions to try to remove any remaining discolouration.
How to Avoid Further Damage
It is possible to make the problem worse if you get overzealous with you attempts at stain and odour removal. Be sure to keep the following in mind to limit those chances:
- Do not use a steam cleaner as this will set the stain and odor into the carpet permanently.
- Avoid strong smelling cleaners especially vinegar and ammonia.
The carpet cleaning Ottawa homeowners require for pet stains is often best left to the professionals. They will remove the stain and odour without causing further damage to your carpet.